• Welcome to SDCFans - The Unofficial Fan Site For Silver Dollar City. Please log in or sign up.

SDC’s 2025 Project(s) and Park Developments

Started by mg, August 09, 2024, 11:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmstephe

Quote from: Jesus4me on October 09, 2024, 03:45:47 PM
Hopefully one of the new shows is a return to the original music to the Christmas Carol. Since they changed the songs from the original ones it is unwatchable.

Don't get your hopes up; the change was made due to copyright issues. 

shavethewhales

They'll never go back to the 'Disney' music for sure, but there's still room for improvement. The bigger issue is that they lost a lot of their best performers. It's still a timeless show and story, but they will have to keep working at it to get close to where they were back in the glory days.

Looking at satellite maps, it looks like they have room to double the plaza area from what currently exists, but that would require bumping out to the road. Looks like they'll also have to lose a few more trees...

The big announcement is only a week away. One has to assume part of the reason behind the plaza enhancement is to make more room for the bigger and bigger crowds that will come as SDC turns into a multi-day resort destination. I'm almost surprised there wasn't more announced in this regard. In recent years, they have made a number of big redevelopments of areas of the park to accommodate larger crowds. The areas around Time Traveler, Mystic River, and the furniture factory are all unrecognizable from a decade ago. I guess without really bulldozing the rest of the park there aren't many other pinch points left to "fix" other than the entrance itself. Surprised that Ozark Marketplace and the Hospitality House are still sticking around, but I would be surprised if they are still here in five years.

Another thing not mentioned in this year's announcements: anything related to the old FITH space...

jericho

Quote from: shavethewhales on October 10, 2024, 01:13:37 PM
They'll never go back to the 'Disney' music for sure, but there's still room for improvement. The bigger issue is that they lost a lot of their best performers. It's still a timeless show and story, but they will have to keep working at it to get close to where they were back in the glory days.

Looking at satellite maps, it looks like they have room to double the plaza area from what currently exists, but that would require bumping out to the road. Looks like they'll also have to lose a few more trees...

The big announcement is only a week away. One has to assume part of the reason behind the plaza enhancement is to make more room for the bigger and bigger crowds that will come as SDC turns into a multi-day resort destination. I'm almost surprised there wasn't more announced in this regard. In recent years, they have made a number of big redevelopments of areas of the park to accommodate larger crowds. The areas around Time Traveler, Mystic River, and the furniture factory are all unrecognizable from a decade ago. I guess without really bulldozing the rest of the park there aren't many other pinch points left to "fix" other than the entrance itself. Surprised that Ozark Marketplace and the Hospitality House are still sticking around, but I would be surprised if they are still here in five years.

Another thing not mentioned in this year's announcements: anything related to the old FITH space...

If the train tracks weren't there, they could make the new plaza start and blend in from where the old Toboggin ride structure is. I'm talking that area between the where the current path is, to the side of Red Gold Theater.  Is the area behind the plaza (next to the highway) buildable? Seems like I remember a steep decline to the highway.

They have to do something with the old FITH building or remove it, and they need to connect Hill Street to Outlaw Run. Also, they should link the two dead end roads at Wildfire and Powerkeg together.

Jesus4me

Quote from: tmstephe on October 10, 2024, 12:40:04 PM
Quote from: Jesus4me on October 09, 2024, 03:45:47 PM
Hopefully one of the new shows is a return to the original music to the Christmas Carol. Since they changed the songs from the original ones it is unwatchable.

Don't get your hopes up; the change was made due to copyright issues.
Funny how other parks do not have "copyright issues" with the same exact songs. I believe it was more or a choice by the director of entertainment. They need just retire the show as it is so bad now.

cowboy

I think this first announcement was to highlight what was going to change in the park for next year so they can begin the season pass sales. Seems like a typical year after a big ride introduction "FITH" with the new festivals, food, etc.

I'm thinking the announcement on the 17th will let us know what's coming in a few years in the future...so probably more like 2026 and beyond. We have to give them a little time to get something built.

Swoosh probably knows best (I think he's a musical director at a high school) but regarding the copywrite or performance of songs, basically you just have to contact the rights holder for the work and make arrangements for the use, sometimes it's a one-time fee, or a usage fee, or just permission...and trying and failing to contact the rights holder is not a substitution for permission. So stay with songs in the public domain or be prepared to pay something...especially if you are profiting from the performance.

Jay

tmstephe

Quote from: cowboy on October 12, 2024, 04:15:07 PM
Swoosh probably knows best (I think he's a musical director at a high school) but regarding the copywrite or performance of songs, basically you just have to contact the rights holder for the work and make arrangements for the use, sometimes it's a one-time fee, or a usage fee, or just permission...and trying and failing to contact the rights holder is not a substitution for permission. So stay with songs in the public domain or be prepared to pay something...especially if you are profiting from the performance.

Jay

You're exactly right.. SDC has to get permission and pay for the use of copyrighted songs.  It's not that they can't do that, but they have chosen not to.  The new music is fine - I think a lot of the complainants are based on comparison to the old show and not necessarily on the quality of the current show in isolation.  But to each their own. 

Kisco

Instead of just replacing the train depot, what if they redid the whole layout of the train?  Remove the tracks from the middle of the park and add to the tracks on the back side of the current layout.  The train could become a much longer ride and also open up new land to development.  A new depot would need to be built somewhere on the new layout, but the need to block off walkways could be removed.  There could even be multiple depots to move people from one part of the park to another.  Eventually, the train could link to a new resort or another entrance by a resort.  There would be lots of possibilities with a new layout.  They could also move the "round" house and open up that area for other development.  If they keep expanding the park with the current track layout, they are going to have even more crosswalks with gates that need closed for trains.  The Flooded Mine/current depot area could have major changes done without the train tracks in the way.  Same thing over by the old Fire in the hole.  Just a thought, however radical it might be.